Saturday, February 12, 2011

language

We were at the park the other day before taking the kids to piano and some 5th graders were hanging out and one of them kept using really bad language. I went over and talked to the kids about it and they all apologized and changed their language. I thought about how most kids are trying super hard to be cool and try to use words they hear older kids saying and are actually pretty respectful when you ask them to stop.
Most of these words they were using were totally lost on my kids, which makes me super grateful. To my kids the "f" word is f.a.r.t, the "s" word is s.t.u.p.i.d, the "h" word is h.a.t.e, and we even have an "i" word which is i.d.i.o.t. Cannon never says the word, but loves spelling them to me when other people say them.

3 comments:

Crystal said...

I'm so glad they respected you enough to change their language. I have had similar encounters in "family friendly" places and was NOT given such an agreeable response. You are a great example to your children!
:)

Ryan said...

I totally remember! What about the "b" word. . . b.u.t.t. Mom drilled that one into us didn't she?:) Way to be brave and talk to them. They just need a little guidance.

Jamie C. said...

my kids get big, wide eyes when they hear someone say the "g" word. Gosh. They say, "we say oh my word, or oh my goodness." Funny. I guess we'll get into the "fart" word one day when the boys grow up, but Joe and I were cracking up the other night when Gabs said, "Gross. I sneezed and got snout in my hair." She doesn't even know it's called snot! Joe and I didn't even correct her. We couldn't stop laughing.