So I taught the lesson on Sunday in Relief Society. I read a talk by Elder Holland called To Young Women and loved it. It seemed to be exactly what I needed to hear and when I prayed about the topic I didn't really want the answer because I felt it would be a hard topic to cover and not offend anyone, but I did it and everything seemed to go okay.
To summarize the lesson:
In a study done they found that women have, on average, 36 negative thoughts per day about their bodies. Richard Evans said, "We can break bad habits; we can acquire good habits; we can choose what we think by the sheer determination to do so." Well I have this bad habit of having negative thoughts about my body so I decided once I read this talk to acquire good habits and change my view about my body. I have been trying to think about something I like about my body when a bad thought comes into my mind to try and counter my other thoughts. I must say that over the last few weeks I have slowly started to feel better about myself.
Some of the favorite highlights from Elder Holland, "I want you to be proud you are a woman. I want you to feel the reality of what that means, to know who you truly are. You are literally a spirit daughter of heavenly parents with a divine nature and an eternal destiny...Be a woman of Christ. Cherish your esteemed place in the sight of God. He needs you. This Church needs you. The world needs you. I say to you what the Prophet Joseph said more than 150 years ago: 'If you live up to your privileges, the angels cannot be restrained from being your associates.'
"I plead with you young women to please be more accepting of yourselves, including your body shape and style, with a little less longing to look like someone else. We are all different."
Then he went on to say, "Every young woman is a child of destiny and every adult woman a powerful force for good."
I love the words of love and encouragement we receive from the Apostles.
2 comments:
That's so funny, cause I taught RS on Sunday too, and since the YW go into RS the 1st Sunday in our ward, I taught a YW lesson too!!! It's like we're psychically connected. Elder Holland was spot on with that talk. We need to remember how great we are. Cause we're pretty great.
You are amazing to me and I'm almost surprised by this post. I guess it's so easy for us to compare our worst with others' best sometimes. I distinctly remember thinking, "I sure hope I can haul a-- like her after I birth my 3rd baby!" lol. That was supposed to be a compliment on your strength and ability and awesome mom-bod.
We have inspired leaders and if anyone doubts that they receive divide guidance they only need to listen/read what they say. Most men don't "get it" when we women nitpick at our flaws, yet here are some older men and know exactly what we need to hear.
:)
Post a Comment