Friday, February 20, 2009

Flashback


As I was running this morning I had to stop to tie my shoe and a guy passed me. I of course took this as a challenge and started running faster to keep up with him. Yes, it was an uncomfortable distance between the two of us for over a mile as I forced myself to run next to him. (Just some random guy from Dupont) He was not going my regular pace so I was gasping for air trying to keep up. The best part is that I am not even half as competitive as I once was.

This takes me to my flashback I had this morning. I liked a boy that I met in Texas while living with my sister for the summer after my freshman year. We headed back to BYU and I thought I would be interested in getting to know him better. He had the brilliant idea of going running together. He was 6'4", but I was in way better shape because I ran everyday. His stride was two of mine, but I have the bad habit of having to be just a little bit ahead of anyone else I run with. This might be why I run by myself now:) We ran up around the Provo temple and into Rock Canyon and going at speeds I am pretty sure I had saved from competitive track days in high school. Neither one of us could talk for the last half of the run, I had bright red face that I always get working out and guess how many times I saw him after that? One of my roommates said, "and you wonder why you don't get asked out more often?" I guess I can be a little intense.

I am sure the poor guy in Dupont didn't even have a clue how serious our race was this morning...but he might have had a good laugh after he finally turn and got me off his tail.

5 comments:

Buffy said...

That is so funny - I love that you ran next to him for so long.

Reiko said...

next time he might have mace to keep his running stalker at bay.... Run like the wind girl!!

Nicki said...

Been there, done that! It's nice that you face up to that quirky little habit of yours. And thanks for letting me run just a few steps behind you. I love you!

Jennifer said...

You are soooo funy. We should run together. I promise to be a zillion miles behind. Since I can only run for a minute before my heart tries to explode:-)

Anonymous said...

lol:) you're too funny. that's why i hate running with drew. one of his steps is like two of mine, and he is in WAY better shape than me too. the only time i go running with drew is when he's running and i'm on a bike! now that's only fair:)