We took the kids to Oregon for Phil's holiday party. The second day we were there I took the kids down for breakfast. Phil had already headed off to work so it was just the four of us and we had just sat down and started eating. Cannon got to pick the table so we ventured to a different section than the day before. We heard a huge crash and looked up to see a lady on the floor and heard the lady next to her screaming. At first she was just screaming and then she started yelling for someone to call 911. There were a ton of people there and they all got out their phones. The lady that had started scream was still screaming these weird screams while someone was talking to 911. During the phone call before the paramedics got there the lady stopped breathing. They started doing CPR and I felt totally helpless. I really wanted to do something, anything, to help, but I couldn't leave my kids. They were all reacting in different ways and it was interesting to watch them respond to everything that was happening. Lyla just really wanted more apple juice, but everything was happening over by the juice machine. Cannon had folded up arms and bowed his head and started praying quietly to himself. Miya was looking pretty worried and right on the verge of crying. She kept asking me a lot of questions about if I thought the lady would die. Living with a mother that is a nurse and is also very practical I know that very few people actually survive something like this and needing CPR. I informed Miya that she probably would not survive, but that they were doing everything they could to help her. The paramedics had arrived and were busy getting everything set-up and continuing with chest compressions. The woman and man that had come down to breakfast with this woman were standing around looking totally lost. I just kept thinking I wished I could do something for them, but also didn't want to get in the way. The hotel employees were trying to help them, but they looked like they weren't sure what to do either. I was so thankful that I had the knowledge of the Gospel and thought I wished they had the same knowledge and that they could feel the peace I was experiencing as I was trying to help my kids and say they things that would be best for them during everything. I did have a crash rush of adrenaline when everything started, but by the time we left the breakfast room about 30 minutes later my legs were shaking and I was just wishing for Phil to come back and hug me. Miya wanted to stay to see the lady get on the gurney and into the ambulance because I think she thought if they did those things it would mean she was going to be okay. We didn't stay that long because as some point I felt super bad about being there and not helping anyone.
Thinking back on things I feel so blessed to know that I was totally guided by the Spirit to say and do the things that would best help my kids process and learn from the experience and also that the same Spirit can comfort and help that family as they deal with the loss of the woman. It also made me decide to sign up for a CPR course since it has been so long and things have changed so much. Ever though it doesn't say everyone it is still able to save some lives and just knowing what I need to be doing is better than not knowing.
No comments:
Post a Comment