Thursday, January 8, 2009

New Callings

You would think with all the time I have spent in the Young Women's I would totally feel like I am putting back on an old favorite well-fitting hat, but I have been totally crazy about this calling the last few weeks. I guess it is hard no matter what calling you get to jump in and feel totally comfortable. I am so excited to work with the girls in the ward and to get to know them better, but man nothing makes you feel less cool then trying too hard to be cool around a bunch of young women. Last night was funny because I just thought about things I was going to say before I said anything, which made it even harder to say anything at all.
I remember as a youth loving my leaders and thinking that everything they were doing for me came naturally to them and they didn't even have to work at it. Actually I am not sure I really knew how much they were doing for me. How much they were praying for me, how much they cared about my spiritual, emotional and physical well-being. I know that I have thought this before when I have been called to YW, but it is nice to be reminded about all the work and effort that has been made in my behalf by women who had LOTS of other things to do for their own families. I love those women and appreciate the sacrifice they made for me. They were fun, smart, loving, kind, charitable, talented, sweet and amazing Sisters.

I wonder if they ever tried too hard to be cool?

8 comments:

Crystal said...

Girl, you do NOT even need to try to be cool. You are so cool the snow is jealous.
What a great opportunity to work with young women before your own girls get to that age.
:)

Andra said...

The coolness factor of YW leaders still lingers for me too. That's why I'm pretty sure I'll never be called to YW (phew). I've got the simple pleasures factor nailed which is why I'm always called to Primary. It works.

Buffy said...

I laughed when I read your comments about being in YW - it has been a few years since I served in the YW but I can just imagine myself being just like you, and trying to plan out what to say or how to act. Thankfully I am not put in that situation - I'll stick with the activities for the ward! You are apparently made to serve in YW - you will do great and I am sure all the YW LOVE you!! How could they not? :)

Nicki said...

Totally agree! It is a stressful job to fulfill! I know that you do it with the most grace and coolness of us all. It's proven because you keep getting the calling. You are amazing just like all those women who served for us. I just have to say though that I'm glad it's you and not me:).

Millers! said...

You are going to be awesome as YW Pres, I am totally excited for you, and I think you are COOL... but really I am not a teenager, so that probably doesnt mean a thing, LOL!

Jennifer said...

Your frind Cyrstal is so right. you are one of the coolest people I know. But you hit the nail on the head for me at least. I hope YM's is never in my bag...because I would totally feel just like you and thinking about everything before I do it, and wanting to be cool and not thinkin gthta I'm cool. But you are the real thing and the gals in our ward are so totlly lucky!!!!

Apryl said...

Is it wrong that I tell every bishop in every new ward how much I, "...love primary. Primary is the best. I love it!" (It's worked for the past 7 years...) Mostly because I don't think I could live up to the example of my most fabulous YW leaders. You, on the other hand, are a PERFECT leader for the girls! A great example. And you won't get annoyed by teenagers the way I do (the truth comes out).

Unknown said...

I have yet to serve in YW, but when that day comes I'll be blogging to you for advice! I've tried to envision myself as a YW and somehow I see myself as leaning towards trying to hard to be cool. All I know is that I thought all the leaders were cool in one way or another. They all loved us and I guess that's all that it really boils down to, huh. Good luck. You're doing great!