Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Studies

So I often find myself thinking, "I want to do a study about ..., but how would I have a control group, and how could I only change one variable?" I seriously want to set up a study for everything. Any time I hear people talk about 1/2 day vs. all-day kindergarten I think about how to make a study so you could scientifically say which one was better. You can't, right! Because then you would have to tell every parent that their child is the same as every other child and that they couldn't teach them anything at home or that would become a variable in the study. Or you would have to be able to put the same child through both classes at the same time.
Well I start to think this way and then I think, "how in the world do they ever do a study and get accurate results?" No really, think about it. With humans, how do you have a control group and then only change one variable among the different groups. I don't do the same things everyday and I am not in the same place everyday and the environment is going to change and the stress level is going to change. Then I thought, "well I guess that is why the commercials for prescription drugs is 1/5 what the medicine is for and 4/5 what might happen if you take the drug."
Then the bigger question is why does my brain work this way? I really have about 10 of these studies in my head at any given time. Just two that I found myself thinking about while I was running this morning:
1. Private school vs. public school. Most of the kids that I know that are currently in private school have both parents working in order to afford school. How does that affect the child. The child's parents in general and their genetic make-up even make it so you can't pick.
2. screen time for children. I am all for limiting tv time for kids because I know how I feel after watching a ton of tv, but really how did they come up with that number. I only have three kids and each one had a different length of time that they can stand to sit and watch tv.
I don't really know why I am posting this, but I guess it is something that I feel is part of who I am. Phil and I have conversations all of the time about different studies I would like to do or with me picking apart a study I just read in a science journal. I know totally weird, but for some reason I can't stop myself from thinking about it.

5 comments:

Buffy said...

Wow - you have really deep thoughts. I usually think about the cadbury eggs I have hidden in the cupboard and how many is too many to eat in a day :) and how far I will have to run tonight because I have already ate 2 and want another one!

Crystal said...

Great insight! I have actually been thinking a lot about schooling and what route I want to take with my own kids...which inevitably leads me to a mind that won't shut off when I'm trying my hardest to get to sleep at night. Thank you for sharing!

Honeycombs said...

I think about candy a lot too. I am glad to know that others hide candy from their kids too. Yummy Easter candy!

Nicki said...

What an interesting mind. . . You really are a scientist. Once you figure our all of your studies, I could be one of your control group. Of course, there would only be a small compensation:). I love you and loved your post about all you did to get through school. You are amazing!!!

Jennifer said...

You are a true scientist Jamie! There will be many years of helping your kids with science experiments!