Saturday, September 6, 2008

Free Lunch

So after the first day of school Miya informed me that they serve a snack at school for everyone. I was guessing that it was a small kindergarten snack. Our conversation went as follows:

Mom- so what did you have for a snack?
Miya- corndogs or salad with a sandwich, juice or milk, an apple and some cookies.
Mom- well I think that was actually school lunch. Did you all eat together in the big lunch room?
Miya- yes.
Mom- well you have to pay for that lunch and we are not paying for it. You bring your own lunch to school and have to get a ticket for the school lunch.
Miya- no you don't my teacher just hands out the tickets and it is free for all the students.
Mom- don't do that any more because you really do have to pay for the lunch and it is $2.25 everyday.
Miya- (just a look of my mom has no idea what she is talking about. It has been like a million years since she went to school)

You can guess how many students in Miya's kindergarten are on the free lunch at school. It is a cute little school and Miya really likes her teacher.

2 comments:

Crystal said...

I love that you having her still pay for her lunch even though some might just let it slide.
She's going to grow up alongside a LOT of "free lunch" situations in her life. You are teaching her a timeless lesson. Good job mom!!!

Jamie C. said...

I wished so badly that I could eat the schoollunches growing up. But noooo, my parents made me bring something sensible (aka-cheap) like a sandwich and an apple. What I wouldn't have given for cardboard, greasy pizza! I was so jealous! Now that Miya's tasted the good stuff, she'll never want to take her lunch again!