Saturday, October 25, 2008

Day after surgery

Yesterday was a long day. Phil was in the office for surgery at 11:00 and we got home at 7:00. I know a few things I would change about my surgery center if I had one...
1. If someone is going to need crutches and the place upstairs has them, but they close at 4:00 I would let the patients "wife" know they should go pick them up before that time while they are just sitting waiting for the patient to get out of surgery. I don't know? Just an idea.
2. If someone is going to need pain medication after the said surgery I would give the patients "wife" the prescription so she could get it filled while the patient is again 'in surgery'. Just another idea.
I guess it was just hard sitting around all day waiting for the surgery to be complete and feel like you have nothing to do, but you want to be doing something to prepare for when you will be the caretaker. After I had Phil in the car we had to run around town and get all the said items and I was so worried about poor Phil and needing to take the pain medication. Then I made the biggest mistake of the day and pulled into Walgreen's!! Yikes! I don't like Walgreen's, they are always super slow and I know this. It took 1.5 hours to get his prescription filled. At about 45 min. I thought what am I doing, but then it felt too late and it couldn't take too much longer, right? Phil was such a trooper and even laughed at me and all my craziness when I got back in the car.
Phil's dr. was nice and great and as we were leaving Phil gave him some knuckles and Dr. Teeny said,"it is so funny what the medicine does to people." I replied, "no that was all Phil. He would have done that even without the medicine." He laughed and I thought I am so lucky. Phil was great with the nurse though and that was all the medicine. He kept acting like Cannon does when he is really tired and saying things like, "I can't keep my eyes open" as his eyes would roll back into his head. They had to shave his leg and he kept laughing at the way it looked. He was super nauseous when he came out of surgery, which made me super excited about getting him in the car and driving him around. I just love it when people throw-up.
Angie Buxton is an angel for watching all the kids and being such a good friend. I guess it was one of those days that you realize Heavenly Father couldn't give you a big enough family so he gave you friends that become family. We love the Buxton family so much and my kids can't imagine that they really aren't Auntie and Uncle.
Phil will start physical thearapy next week and will be out of work for two weeks, but seems to be doing well. We saw the Tom Brady report just before taking him in for surgery about the infection and that was super exciting to think about. The doctor wasn't sure what the ACL was going to look like because with the MRI it looked okay. When he got in there he found that the ACL was torn but had attached to the other ligament so he took tissue from the front of the knee and rebuilt the ACL. It should take about 10 months to get back to normal and will have a lot of hard work to get ROM back and the strength in the leg, but he is excited about being able to run again.


We can't take the bandage off for 5 days so this is we get to see. On the form for preop it said take a shower before coming in...good advise since he can't shower for 2 days.

6 comments:

ashlee said...

What a trooper. I like that you guys put your bed on the floor so it is easier for him with the surgery. We did the same thing just in case either one of us is injured :-)

Anonymous said...

wow, i feel like such a dork. i guess i should have checked out your blog before i called you.

hope phil gets better soon:)

Andra said...

Poor guy. I'm glad there things will get better, though. Pharmacies are always the worst part of being sick or injured. After all the time spent with the doctor it seems like we should just be able to go home.

Jennifer said...

Hey Jamie...what a day and you are both troopers. Can we bring you dinner sometime this week? Hope the pain meds work wonders!!!!

Millers! said...

Oh wow, I feel for you... although Phil seems to manage pain pretty well... I have horror stories from my husbands back surgery... WOW.. but I cant believe they didnt give you any didnt inform you better! Good luck with the recovery and physical Therapy OUCH!

Carie Beard said...

I agree with all of the surgery advice. That drives me crazy!!! I hope he recovers quickly and you get to take a day for yourself soon. I would love to take you to lunch;)